Zicam now (and when I say "now," I mean they came out some time last year) has these quick-dissolve tablets that seem to be the same amount of hocus pocus, but they don't make my mouth bleed like my nose did. Here's the deal: these tablets come in a couple of flavors and give you a pretty concentrated dose of zinc, vitamin C, and echinacea. I tend to believe that zinc and vitamin C can't do anything bad for you when you have a cold, so I can get on board with the dissolving tabs except for the fact that they don't tell you how to use them.
Here's how you use the Zicam dissolving tabs:
- Pop the tab into your mouth
- DO NOT swallow the stuff that immediately dissolves, just hold it in your mouth
- Hold all the dissolved stuff in your mouth until the entire tab dissolves and then swallow it
- Don't drink and orange juice (citric acid) for at least a half hour
- Do your best to take these things with a little bit of something in your stomach
Oh, and if you're going to buy into this as a treatment, buy it a Costco -- it's unbelievable what it costs at normal stores.