Seth Godin starts off a list of 1,000 teachable things that every 3rd-grader should know. Some highlights include:
- How to type.
- How to speak in front of a group.
- How to write clear prose that other people actually want to read.
- The 15,000 most common English words.
- Conversational Spanish.
- How to handle big changes, with grace.
- How to run a small business.
- How to sell.
How different is the list from a list that your parents would have made? Even more important: how different of a list is this from what a 16-year old would make?
Somebody has to have started a Wiki for this -- let me know where it is and I'll link to it for you.